Woodworking can be exciting and overwhelming at the same time. For beginner woodworkers it is best to stay with the simple projects until you can master the woodworking skills you need to conquer the major projects. One great project for beginners is one that does not have that many parts and you do not have to use major equipment with. Here is a guide to making a basic CD holder for beginners.
Basic CD Holder
Tools/ Materials needed: pencil, try square or combo square, your best sawzall, 3/8″ forster bit, file; clean cloths, high quality brush, two pieces of wood (oak, walnut, cherry or maple)- sized 5/8″x6″x6″, 3 pieces of hardwood dowel rod- 11 ¾” x 3/8″ , 120 and 150 grit sandpaper, minwax wood finish amp; minwax fast drying polyurethane.
1) Get the two pieces of wood,5/8″x6″x6″, in pencil draw square 5″x5″, on both pieces of wood
2) Cut both pieces of wood to the line; now lay out the holes for the dowel rods on one face of one board.
3) The holes are as follows: 1st hole-(left top)-down 2 amp; 1/16″, over 9/16″; 2nd hole-(left bottom) – down 4 ½”, over 1 3/8″; 3rd hole- (right bottom) – down 4 ¼”, over 4 ¼”. All of the holes are measured from the top of the board.
4) Tape the two pieces of wood together with two -sided tape.
5) Drill 3/8″ diameter holes halfway through both pieces of wood using the Forster bit. Now separate the pieces and remove the tape.
6) Round out the edges with sandpaper, starting with the 120 and moving up to the 150.
7) Sand the dowel rods with the 150 grit sandpaper.
8) Now apply the stain and finish, let it dry according to the instructions on the label.
9) Once everything is dry insert the dowel rods. Now your project is complete.
10) Clean up with soap and water, and discard rags and waste in a water filled metal container seal and dispose.
Always pre treat softwood with a wood conditioner. Test small corners of the wood with the staining solution to see if it is what you want. Always brush along the grain, not against. Discard your used materials safely to avoid fires, you are using chemicals. Woodworking is very enjoyable and a great stress reliever. Once you have mastered the simple rules of woodworking there is no end to what you can do. So go out there and build a bird house, or a cabinet. Enjoy